Blog is me....

What is blogging? Where did it come from? How does "blog" even become a word? Does this mean that I can coin my own words too?

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Jury Duty

I suppose it is our duty to serve on a jury at least at one point and time in our lives. Our constitution gives us the "right" to a jury trial and therefore, we, as citizens of the United States, get to partake in this lovely judicial process.

I arrived at my designated courthouse at 8:00am, as per my jury summons. After the "airport" like process of having my belongings scanned, I was herded into a large room with rows upon rows of chairs. I should be thankful....at least the chairs were cushioned and we had Internet access at $5/hr. I guess things could have been worse. I could have been chosen for a month long trial. That would have been fun.

I was lucky though....we were all excused from being chosen because all the cases that day were settled out of court. If only all cases can be settled out of court....

"Listen, Bob....I have to make it home for my kid's soccer game at 4pm this afternoon. Can your client plead guilty and I'll cut you a deal?"

"Joe, what did you have in mind?"

"How about 2 weeks jail time and 1 month community service and 6 months of therapy?"

"1 week jail time, 1 week community service, and 1 month therapy...."

"Your client is guilty as all hell! 3 months therapy and 2 weeks community service and I'll give you the 1 week jail time."

"Alright...it's a deal!"

Then, everyone can go home happy! Potential jurors don't get called in, the attorneys get to go home early, the accused still gets reprimanded, and everyone wins!!! Hooray for cutting deals!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home