Blog is me....

What is blogging? Where did it come from? How does "blog" even become a word? Does this mean that I can coin my own words too?

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Supportive Shopping

Now, as many of you may already know, I am not the most "girly" of girls. I would rather watch football than get a pedicure. I would rather go backpacking for a couple days than go shopping. Every once in awhile though, I have to act like a girl and do "girly" things with my girlfriends. Apparently, girls like to shop. Duh. They like to shop and shop and shop. They like to look at shoes, clothes, earrings, bags, belts, and anything that might put a dent in their wallets. They like boutique stores and Neiman Marcus and Barneys. Personally, I'm like a kid in a candy store at REI (a much nicer sporting goods store than Sportmart or Sports Chalet).

Well, I spent a solid 3 hours shopping with my girlfriends on Sunday and the sociological aspect of it was fascinating! There seems to be a pecking order based on who has the most fashion sense.

Every group has the fashion diva to whom many inquire about their own fashion decisions. She is the one who knows how to pick out the "cutest things!" She will pull clothes off the rack and say things like "Hey RN! Have you seen this?? This will be totally great on you!" She has a quick eye and circles around the store several times.

Then, there is the rival fashion diva. She is just as fashionable as the other one, but shops for herself only. She works alone and moves quickly. She has no qualms about spending hundreds of dollars if she really likes something. She is very decisive with clear black and white boundaries as to what she likes.

Next, there is the objective friend. She will give objective advice. "Yes, that DOES make your thighs look bigger." "Uhhh....yeah...not so much...." She takes her time and doesn't waste it on sections that don't seem suitable. She is just practical and level-headed enough to be responsible, but not to the point of being boring.

Also, there is the observer. She is like a sponge and takes it all in. She knows what she likes but doesn't feel the need to voice her opinion too strongly. She is neutral to all parties.

And no group is complete without the frugal one. She doesn't want to spend the money on buying anything! She thinks everything is too expensive. She has to think everything through before making a purchase. She lacks spontaneity when shopping. This is where "supportive shopping" comes into play. It is a team effort to coerce this one that it is okay to buy something because in life, every purchase can be justified, especially if it can be worn for more than one season.

3 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Dern said...

(as I keenly display a lack of insight)

I've read this a couple times now and have tried to imagine which one you might be.

I think I have a good guess at which one, so I ask please, which are you??

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Bruingirl said...

I'm a cross between the objective one and the frugal one. In this particular case, I was the frugal one. I'm not very good at spending money on myself since I seem to spend all my money on weddings and birthdays and babies!!! I would rather save my money to buy a house than buy depreciable assets or take on liabilities. Which one did you think I was??? :)

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Dern said...

(perhaps foolishly answering what might have been rhetorical and offering a peek into an offkilter mind)

At first I thought Objective, but then saw the word "friend".

That left "human sponge" or the frugal one.

Human Sponge didn't seem as "quiet" and frugal didn't seem as "lifely", but I decided on frugal as that is your glasswearing secret identity by day....

(thanks for the revelation :) )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home