Blog is me....

What is blogging? Where did it come from? How does "blog" even become a word? Does this mean that I can coin my own words too?

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Mmmm....pizza.....

Fortunate or not, my company likes to feed us. They like to feed us quite often. They like to feed us food that makes us fatter. In my industry, it is fairly common to have someone come in to do a lunch or breakfast presentation. These people realize that the only way we will listen to them is if they feed us. In some senses, it may be considered bribery. Only if you listen to my pitch will you get free food....

Either way, it's free food and sometimes, these people actually have something insightful to say. More often than not, it goes in one ear and out the other. How many times can you have someone tell you that their large-cap growth fund is better than XYZ Co.???

Today, they fed us pizza. We don't like to get pizza too often, but it's free and it's greasy. What else can you ask for? The poor pizza kid came after 1pm though. Everyone was milling about the conference room door when the kid finally came through with 4 boxes of pizza to start. He had to go down and get the rest of the pizza. What happened next was quite the sight. 30+, mostly middle-aged, mostly male professionals in shirts and ties, scrambling to get a slice. There were no plates or napkins yet. Just 4 boxes of pizza.

As one rookie kid poignantly said, "I thought people stopped this kind of behavior in college....?? It's worse than a group of college frat boys!"

3 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Blogger Dern said...

Luncheons are good for some free food, but usually once I make it blearily past the morning hours....feeding me at lunch does not increase my paying attention abilities.

Crap; you mean once I make it past 30 I only have years of hastily scurrying toward food to look foward too? I better start starving myself now......and practicing to act more childishly too; clearly ten is too old for me....

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Bruingirl said...

It's all downhill from 30 it seems....sad, but true...
Yeah, I don't really pay attention too much at the mtgs myself. I eat and then, I just stare at the guy giving the presentation. I feel like Charlie Brown....

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Astera said...

Hey, at least you get fed! See my recent rant about PR people. I have to listen to their pitches, and I get nothing in return! Not even a free soda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home