Blog is me....

What is blogging? Where did it come from? How does "blog" even become a word? Does this mean that I can coin my own words too?

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Loud co-workers

I guess I could close my office door, but I don't want to seem like I'm shutting everyone out. Guess what happens when I keep my door open? I get to listen to this older guy, trying to pitch everyone on why they should work with him.
Picture this: Short, little Caucasian man who looks like he is about 48 yrs old and is obviously trying to start a whole new career. He looks mousy...maybe even a bit like a gopher (minus the fur). He is mostly bald, but what little hair he has left is trimmed very short. He wears glasses and his face has the blotchy look of a man who had not taken very good care of his skin when he was younger. Add to that, a strong New Jersey accent and you have your man. He has the energy of a sprightly 21 yr old which is eerie in someone his age.
He is pacing around his cubicle, yammering away at someone on the phone. He is talking about how he is in the top 3rd of his "training class". I would certainly hope so, since he is up against recent college grads who don't really know any better.
It's not even what he's talking about that bothers me. I think it is his strong Jersey accent. He sounds like he should be on the Sopranos, not working as a stockbroker. If anything, he sounds like he should be in insurance sales. Why do I listen to this? Why should I have to close my office door? Why can't he talk like a normal person?

2 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Dern said...

You's should stop listening a my conversations. You's knows I's the bestest trained person their is.....

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Astera said...

I had this same problem when I worked at a certain magazine. One woman just did not know how to modulate her voice, and she talked about the most inane, annoying things. In this case, the best you can hope for is that the guy gets laryngitis. Or vocal nodules.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home